All who rely on observing the law are under a curse, for it is written: “Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law.”
Clearly no one is justified before God by the law, because, “The righteous will live by faith.” The law is not based on faith; on the contrary, “The man who does these things will live by them.”
Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us, for it is written: “Cursed is everyone who is hung on a tree.”He redeemed us in order that the blessing given to Abraham might come to the Gentiles through Christ Jesus, so that by faith we might receive the promise of the Spirit.
Galatians 3:10-14 (NIV)
Have you wondered what it meant by “We do not live by the law, but by grace”?
This statement which was firstly submitted by St. Paul who was proclaiming the purpose of the birth, death and ressurrection of Jesus Christ. So now, we no longer need to be under the yoke of trying too hard to gain salvation of our souls by doing the law, which is ironically a curse.
Funny thing is that though this truth is known to many of us (Christians), but sadly not many truly and fully understand the power of this truth.
So what’s the truth?
- The law was and is not a means to attain salvation
- The law is the highest order of living a life; God’s standard
- The law is not possible to be fully obeyed
- The law is meant to a measuring standard for us to judge ourselves
I would only like to share and emphasize more on point 3 and 4….
The law instituted by God for us to obey is actually meant to ’cause’ us to fall. Let me retiterate this… The law that God instituted, though commanded for us to obey is actually impossible to obey and live by.
Why I say that?
Cos we are imperfect and incapable of living a life of such high statndard. The bible says in Romans 3:23, “for all have sinned…” Hence in short, we are all sinners.
So you ask, “Then what’s the point of having the law for us when He know we cannot obey? Is God a sadist?!”
The law though meant to ’cause’ us to fall, but mainly because God wants us to fall not on our bums but on His grace thru His Son, Jesus Christ. Cos it is when we fall, then we see our imperfections, moral deprivity and spiritual poverty.
Seeing our shortfall directs us to what Jesus has done for us on the cross- He paid the penalty of our sins for us.
“For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast.”
Ephesians 2:8-9 (NIV)
So how does this truth can be made powerful in our lives?
- We need not place morbid expectations on ourselves in being perfect with the law where it will inevitably breed a false sense of security in Christ. Cos we are only made right before God with our relationship with God.
- We can fall on His grace with confidence as we know He is ready to catch us and set us going on again towards His perfection and expectations on us.
- We would also be genuinely loving and gracious with people around us. Obeying the law with our own strength and not by His grace breeds self-righteousness. When we see more and more how sinful we are, we no longer judge people with our own standards but with God standard.
Therefore we should truly strive to fully obey the law in order to pin-point and remind us of our imperfections so that we can rely on His grace to live a Christ-like life.
“….where sin increased, grace increased all the more…”
Romans 5:20 (NIV)
2 thoughts on “An all-powerful truth”
Since when did u become so filled with wisdom and knowledge. God bless you deep deep too.
shall start praying for your party for the HWA youth, will be going with my brother to deliever coz he don’t know direction.
the more i read, the more i think your theology quite right, really you write one arh? haha.
“Obeying the law with our own strength and not by His grace breeds self-righteousness.” so is self rigtheousness a good thing or a bad thing?
wa cool man, pls allow me to put a link of ur web in my web, so that my bros and sis can read too. haha
Continue to be blessed with wisdom!
Oei BC! Why so sceptical by my thoughts?!=p
Ha ha… end of the day it is still God’s wisdom not mine which I borrowed from and inspired by is word.